1950s - 1970s

1950s - 1960s

  • In their quest to fight cancer, members made and delivered more than 1.3 million cancer bandages to local hospitals, the Wichita Public Health Nursing Association and the Cancer Office.

  • In 1952, the League opened the Junior League Toy Lending Library in the Southwest Community Center, where children could check out a toy for one- or two-week periods. It was entirely funded and staffed by JLW members.

  • Members served as the first docents at the Wichita Art Museum in 1958.

  • During the 1960s, Junior League Follies presented “Much Ado About Something,” raising more than $20,000, which was reinvested in the community.

  • The year of 1966 brought JLW’s interest in a pre-kindergarten program with YWCA for children with no access to basic needs, such as food, warmth and care-giving.

1970s

  • JLW, in conjunction with the Wichita Historical Museum Association, published an official centennial book depicting a pictorial history of Wichita from 1870 to 1970.

  • JLW was instrumental to the start-up of KPTS, Channel 8, a public television station, in 1970.

  • The 1970s marked JLW’s 50th anniversary, and it gifted the city of Wichita Heritage Square Park, for which the League raised more than $75,000. This Victorian Park was considered a “park for the people” and was completed in spring 1976 for the Bicentennial celebration. JLW received the National Landscape Award for the gift of the park in 1981, and President Jan Deering accepted the award from Mrs. Nancy Reagan.

  • In 1973, JLW was a key player in the establishment of Wichita Youth Home, Inc., a residential home for 12-to-15-year-old boys, after JLW purchased a home for the organization.

Junior League of Wichita

6402 East 12th Street
Wichita, Kansas 67206-1306
Phone: 316.682.7473